Monday 16 September 2013

Shibuya

Hey guys, today is a holiday here in Japan, and apparently while I'm writing this there is a typhoon going on outside. There's some pretty intense wind, but not much else. Maybe it hasn't fully hit yet? I've taken a video of the vine-covered building that I can see from my balcony to show you the wind. I don't think it really shows just how strong the wind is, but it's pretty mesmerising to watch regardless.


I think I'll just stay inside today haha.

Yesterday Olivia and I went to Shibuya to do some shopping. And look who I found just chilling on the side of a vending machine at the train station. Spock! See how well he just blends in with the crowd? (Sorry for the bad photo quality, I was using my phone camera yesterday. I'll have to start being more of a tourist and use my actual camera).


Outside the station I came across an advertisement for Juice=Juice (Hello!Project's newest J-Pop group). The Shibuya 109 building in the background was just a happy coincidence...


Here's the famous Shibuya crossing. It can get pretty busy, it wasn't too bad yesterday though, plenty of room to move.


There was also some sort of festival going on in the street (I think it was some sort of a parade?) so I have some photos of that too.





I love how comfortable these old guys are wearing so little. This is a pretty good example of cultural differences I guess, in Australia we don't even want to see old men wearing so little at the beach...EWW BUDGIE SMUGGLERS.


And finally here's a picture of some shoes that I saw in the Shibuya 109 building that I knew some of the girls back home would love.


I thought that shoes here wouldn't fit me, and most don't. However I did buy a pair from Forever 21. They're an American company so it makes sense that some of their shoes are stocked in larger sizes here. The boots I wanted didn't come in my size though. Typical that I've been searching for boots for months, I finally find some that I love, and I can't have them (well, technically I could order them from the American website, but the American website doesn't ship to Japan so I'd have to get them sent to Aus, which is a $35 shipping fee, and then forwarded from Aus on to me in Japan. NOT WORTH IT).

I'm also having trouble with clothing here. Most of the clothes in the Japanese stores are 'one size'. While I can fit into them they make me look bigger than I am because they're cut for someone with a smaller frame. Fail. Guess Forever 21 will be my best friend over the next 6 months.

Providing this 'typhoon' passes, tomorrow we find out the results of the Japanese placement test (eep!) and then register for our classes. Then we have the rest of the week free. Yippee! Hopefully the weather won't cancel our trip to Disney Sea on Wednesday :)

Anthea xx

P.S. I'm missing my cat terribly. Dad, hurry up and buy a web cam or something, I want to see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment