Friday 6 September 2013

I'm alive and well!

Hey guys, sorry I haven't written about my arrival, I am in fact alive. I've just been very busy getting my dorm room set up and meeting a million new people.

I guess I should start with packing. Packing was very last minute for me, so I just went around my room and put things in my suitcase. I think packing to stay at Michael's house every few nights has trained me well in the art of packing, so I didn't forget anything. Phew! This little guy didn't want to make it easy for me though, and I'm missing him immensely right now. Maybe I should have just let him stay in there...


The flights were ok. Both my flights were fully booked, but I got lucky and whoever was supposed to sit next me on my first flight didn't make the plane. Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky on the second, longer flight, but I was seated next to a very polite Japanese lady so I didn't have any issues. I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep though which resulted in me sleeping on the bus on the way to the dorms the next morning. We also flew through a lightning storm which was interesting.

Once I got off the bus in Shiki I was greeted by 2 students from Rikkyo who took me to the Aeon supermarket (with my giant suitcase) to buy toilet paper since there was none at the dorms. I then arrived at the dorms and met the dorm manager who tried to explain everything to me, although I couldn't understand a word he was saying so I'm still not entirely sure how to work the washing machines or separate my rubbish.

The days following my arrival have been spent shopping for groceries, and several trips have been made to Daiso for cheap dorm supplies. I also needed to make a couple of trips in to the Bic Camera stores in Ikebukuro to get an adaptor for my laptop (I stupidly didn't check before I left Aus and my laptop plug has 3 prongs and the adaptors I bought only accommodate 2), and a microwave which I got special permission to have in my room so that I can heat up my heat pack for my back. Boy am I glad I have my heat pack. After the flights and the extra strain on my shoulders from carrying heavy shopping bags I need it badly. For once my bad back is useful for something, now I can cook microwave meals too.

Oh! And I've experienced my first earthquake. The morning after I arrived I was woken up a bit after 9am because the building was gently swaying. I thought it was just vertigo (I've been suffering from vertigo since I got here from using lifts so much, hopefully that will pass) but it turns out it was an earthquake. They really aren't scary at all, although I guess I wasn't anywhere near the epicentre.

So finally, I guess you want to see what my room looks like, so here's some photos from before I pulled all my stuff out of my suitcase (click on them to enlarge them). I'll post some more photos of what it looks like soon once I've bought a few more things. It's really quite big by Japanese standards I think, although I am struggling with the size of a few things like the kitchen and bathroom, I'm used to having more bench space. I guess I'll adjust.

Front door and cupboard (with shelves).

Entry area. I need to leave my shoes here.

Kitchen.

Kitchen.

Toilet. Yes it's a fancy one that washes your bum. I'm yet to try that setting. The fun part is there's a tap in the top of the toilet to wash your hands and that water then runs into the bowl so that you save water.

Shower. There are a couple of small shelves in the corner that you can't see, and the bath really isn't as big as it looks.

Cupboard (next to kitchen) for clothes. This is actually quite roomy.

My bedroom.

Desk and shelves. Those boxes are my bedding that I ordered before arriving.

Bed. I'd say it's about the size of a king-single in Aus.

Balcony. Once I run some string through that bracket it will be my clothesline.

View from my balcony. I got pretty lucky, just to the right of that is an ugly grey building. I can see half and half.
So that's it I guess. If you want to see the dorm a bit better a past resident of the Asakadai dorms made this video which is pretty good. The Asakadai dorms are the same as the Shiki dorms, they just have a slightly different fridge I think.

I'll try and write again soon. Also I'm really missing western food right now, and I'm struggling to find food in the supermarket that I can cook with just one frypan/saucepan, so if anyone wants to send me some food I have a list going. Donations are welcome. Please don't let me starve! (This might be slightly dramatic, but I haven't really been eating too well because the prospect of what I have to eat here doesn't make me want to eat, so seriously, care packages with Aus food are welcome).

Anthea xx

5 comments:

  1. Hello Daughter,how are you ?.I hope you are looking after yourself.Caeser and I are fine ,he's starting to get a little clingy.I spoke to mum yesterday about your care pagage apparently you will supply a list to her.I don't think we can send Maccs,Red Rooster,Kentuccy Flied or Thai to you it will be cold-ha ha.Your room looks nice,I viewed the link for a better view,shouldn't be hard to keep clean I spose they will do an inspection at some stage.It's a fine day again,will be catching up with Brandon today.Ok,will contact you again have fun and take care. Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I say I'd give her a list? I think Michael is going to send a text message to everyone so that you can all contribute and combine shipping or something, but I'll leave that up to him. Give Ceasar a cuddle for me, you'll have to get a webcam so I can skype with him. xx

      Delete
  2. Hello again,just showed Brandon your Blog page,we were talking today about skype,funny that.Have found your shoes, which photo do you want me to send,you have two in your room,what about the one you took of him in your suitcase that you sent us.
    Love from Dad and Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,Converse shoe size as follows-Mens 7,Womens 9,UK 7,EUR 40,JPN 25.5.These sizes came from the tounge flap,the shoe has a 7 on the sole.

    love YOUR FADDER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,do mean the tan flat shoes.they were in the shoe cupboard with 2 other pair of black ones.

    ReplyDelete