Sunday 22 September 2013

Akihabara, Asakusa, Sky Tree, and Harajuku

After our last day of orientation on Tuesday we had the rest of the week off. The weather was really lovely (if not a little hot) so we went on a few outings.

Wednesday:
On Wednesday a few of us from the dorms went to Akihabara, the centre for electronics and general nerdiness.




The streets are also filled with these cutely dressed girls promoting the maid cafes. I suspect they either aren't allowed to be photographed though, or just don't want to be, because they tended to avoid the camera.


Thursday:
On Thursday a group called JOINUS (a group created by Rikkyo students where they show us places in Tokyo and hold get togethers for us exchange students) took us to Asakusa and the Tokyo Sky Tree. I visited Asakusa on my previous trip to Japan so I didn't take many photos but I have a couple for you.



We saw some fun things on the way to the Sky Tree...









Sky Tree! For anyone who isn't aware, Sky Tree is basically just an observation tower. To be honest I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. We waited in line for 40 minutes to get a ticket to the first level (350m high, if you want to go 450m high you then buy an additional ticket once you're on the 350m level). Sure, it's one of those things which are good to do once, but once you look out one window they all start to look a bit the same. Here's the proof:







Friday:
On Friday Olivia, Ilse and I decided to go to Harajuku to do some shopping. Harajuku would have to be one of my favourite places to shop in Toyko, it's the centre for all things cute and I could spend literally a week straight exploring the stores there and not get sick of what's on offer. There's also a million places to buy crepes, which I will never get sick of. Like Asakusa I didn't take many photos because I've been there before, but here's a pic of some crepes and also the entrance sign to Takeshita Dori (it's constantly changing, but always cute).



And so that completes my week. Classes start tomorrow so I'll do a post soon with some pics of the campus. And also a big thank you to my family who sent me a care package (or as they decided to dub it after chasing after all the things on my list of wants, a 'we don't care package'). Please continue to not care lol. I spent last night making tassels with the tissue paper I requested. Finally my walls look a bit less bare!




Anthea xx

4 comments:

  1. So the cutely dressed girls promoting the maid cafes don't like being photographed and yet you photographed them.. you're not an Aussie by any chance are you. AM thought it was actually you dressed up as a maid. Bahaahaha UD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again,it's good to see you are getting out and about with with your friends,are they nice? May be the pink girl didn't want her photo taken because she is on a dating site and she lied about her height-ha ha.the crepes look nice,i hope you are eating well,what do the tofu ones taste like.Ceaser and I are ok,still demanding lots of attention.I think I found the Flow Toll info,have sent it to UD.There is some mail-2 envelopes, Sun Super & Ziera also spoones from Singapore.What do you want done with them?Take care Missing you Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm keep Sunsuper, Ziera can be thrown out, and chuck the spoons on my mixing table. I don't think they have tofu crepes, but even if they did I'm not about to find out what they taste like. Give Ceasar a tummy rub for me xx

      Delete