Friday 14 June 2013

Youkoso!

Youkoso! Welcome to my blog! To be honest I have no idea where to start. My name is Anthea Cosentino and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. I'm studying a Bachelor of Business at Queensland University of Technology (QUT) majoring in Marketing and Japanese, and as part of my studies I've decided to undertake a semester of study abroad at Rikkyo University in Tokyo, Japan.

Rikkyo University. Yes, there is a university under all that greenery...

The main goal of this blog is to keep my family and friends up to date all in the one place. In saying that though, I expect that future study abroad students hoping to go to Rikkyo will stumble across this blog too. Please, if you have any questions don't be afraid to leave me a comment and I'll do my best to answer your queries. I probably have the same questions now that you'll have too so I'd like to help if I can! I won't go too much into the application process on here since it's long and tedious, but once again if you have questions I'm happy to try and help.

As I write this, I'm currently about 2 and a half months away from arriving in Japan (they've told us to arrive between the 2nd and 4th of September), and as excited as I am I am also shit scared (you'll have to excuse the occasional swear word in this blog, I don't think I can properly convey my feelings without them). I received my acceptance letter via email about a fortnight ago, although being in the middle of uni exams at the time I didn't really have time to process the fact that this was actually happening. Well I finished my last exam 2 days ago, and it's now finally sunk in that I'M GOING TO JAPAN. FOR 6 MONTHS. What the hell have I gotten myself in to?

I won't receive official paperwork until some time in July, so I can't apply for a visa until that shows up, which is really quite annoying because I'm usually a pretty organised person and I don't like leaving things until the last minute. I also don't know yet whether I have been granted a place in the university dorms, although I've been told I should know within the week. I hope they're right, because I'm about to burst from anticipation.

So right now while this information is sinking in I have a million thoughts popping in to my head. I'm starting to realise that everyday things that I take for granted at home won't be quite the same in Japan. Like what am I going to do about my mobile phone? I can't use my current phone in Japan, will I be able to buy a smart phone in Japan with reasonable data charges considering I won't be a full resident? And what should I do about my money? At home I use my bank card for everything and hardly ever carry cash. From what I've heard Japan is quite the opposite. Should I bother getting a bank account over there? SEE? TRIVIAL QUESTIONS! But I have alot of them on a daily basis at the moment, and I hate not knowing what to expect.

My only real concern right now should be booking plane tickets. That in itself raises a whole new set of questions though. Which company should I fly with? Is a red eye flight better than a flight during the day? Should I book a return ticket or just a one-way ticket for now? Will I require extra baggage allowance? I have no idea what I should even be taking with me.

I think I'm just exhausting myself.

Anthea xx

No comments:

Post a Comment