Friday 2 August 2013

Information Headache

Hey! Today is August 2nd, which means it is exactly one month until I leave Australian soil. Not gonna lie, I'm freaking out. I still have so much to do! Today I went in to QUT and picked up my information package from Rikkyo. There's quite a bit included in the package, but a lot of it is just housekeeping stuff that kept repeating itself which made it a headache to read.

The package included:
  • My Official Letter of Admission (or at least I'm hoping that's what it is because it's written in Japanese). 
  • Information about daily life in Japan (although to be honest most of it I had already worked out on my own and I'm still no closer to knowing whether it's worth me opening a Japanese bank account or not and how to get a mobile).
  • Boring insurance/health forms.
  • An orientation schedule.
  • Information about the Japanese placement test (very vague).
  • Some information about class registration (also very vague). 
  • A booklet with descriptions of the classes I can take (same as what was available on the Rikkyo website).
  • A timetable of all the classes (at the moment I won't be disappointed if I end up in J1 level Japanese, they have a 10:45am start instead of a 9am start haha).
  • Student handbook.
  • Dorm confirmation (I'll be staying at the Shiki dorm, room 206. Any other Shiki residents reading this?)
  • Information about the dorms (rules and regulations as well as information about where the dorms are etc, basically stuff that I already knew from reading the info available on the Rikkyo website).
There's also some forms that need to be returned to Rikkyo, some of which are supposed to be mailed back by August 5th. Ha! Maybe if they wanted their forms back on time they should have posted the package at the start of July like they said they would (can you tell I'm a bit annoyed by their lack of organisation?).

Some other items of note:
  • Apparently they don't send someone to meet me at the airport, which kinda sucks really. QUT had said that most universities would send someone to meet you. Guess I'll be braving the airport and transport to Shiki by myself. It seems pretty straightforward, but the thought of doing it alone after an overnight flight is a bit daunting considering I hardly speak Japanese. 
  • You can't check in to the dorms after 9pm. Luckily this won't affect me as my flight arrives in the morning, but the info we were given prior to now only mentioned that you couldn't check in on Sundays and public holidays. I bet there will be a few people with later flights who were planning to check in after 9pm. I feel for those people, I really do. Probably should have told us that before we booked our flights. Let this be a warning to anyone going to Rikkyo in future!
  • I'm allowed to send items to my dorm room within a week of my arrival. This means that I'll have to wait until the last minute to order my bedding. I hope it arrives before I do, I don't have any plans to sleep on the floor!
So that's basically it! There's a tonne of info in there really, but that's the general outline. I guess my next step is to get those forms returned to Rikkyo and plan which classes I want to take. Hopefully I can work out a timetable that leaves me lots of free time!

Anthea xx

7 comments:

  1. Aha, just thought I'd comment and say hi since I could majorly relate to your post - especially about the freaking out part D:
    I'm Zoe, a University of Sheffield student from the UK and I'll be also be in Shiki (room 215) so it looks like we'll be meeting soon. Good luck with all your preparations! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So glad to meet another Shiki resident! And someone on the same floor :D See you soon!

      Delete
  2. I take it you haven't found anyone else living in Shiki yet??

    I remember reading some of the comments on my senpai's (Emily Shield) year abroad page - I think it's called Japazzle, if you haven't already found it, it's an interesting read :) - so I know of some more international students who should be attending this year. Though I have to admit, I'm such a scaredy cat that you're the first person I've actually talked to -_-

    Anywho, I was just wondering if it is okay for me to add you on facebook? You've got quite a lovely and unique name, it should be easy to find you. Plus the mention of nail art in your 'About me' has got me a bit excited for pics maybe...... aha, no worries if not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please add me! We have a facebook group going too, I think the link is in my last post so you should join that too :) I actually came across Emily's blog about a year ago when I was trying to find information about Rikkyo, I commented on her blog so maybe you read my comments haha. She gave me the link for the place she got her bedding from (thanks Emily!)

      And if it's nail art that you're interested in I have my own blog, www.nailedobsession.com. I actually have my own nail polish business too (I make polish) www.sayurinaillacquer.com.

      Delete
  3. Hahah, that's so funny :P Yeah, it probably was you (which is somewhat embarrassing -_-). Okey doke, I'll definitely have a look for that. And yeahh, I was thinking about doing the bedding thing too, but I wasn't sure what I'd do with the bedding afterwards :S

    The nail polish business looks amazing though! I shall definitely take a look at your blog too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa. Okay.. so I am blown away by your blog.. and I think I may have drooled a little looking at your pics. I've got a wedding to go to tomorrow, and I think your Holo Hearts post has inspired me - so thank you so much!

    Sorry for pretty much spam posting this page too, aha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol it's fine, glad I could inspire you! And I'm not sure what we do with the bedding afterwards either, but obviously we're going to have accumulated stuff over there that we can't bring back home so they must have some sort of disposal system in place. Otherwise they wouldn't give us the option to buy bedding ;)

      Delete